Thursday, May 21, 2009

M.I.A.

A round up since my last post has been a wild one. I got my book printed along with 60 take-aways and 60 post-it note pads with my website on it. I headed to New York City for the Art Directors Club National Portfolio Review ready to drink in the center of the advertising world. Then that night after I flew to Chicago for several interviews and flew back home in time for graduation. Then went back down to NYC for a one day excursion. Finished packing up my stuff and moved back home to keep the job/internship wheels grinding.

So I'm going to stop blaming my travels and just write.

After interviewing with different agencies and researching departments and different types of agencies, I have fell in love with small boutique agencies who are working above and beyond traditional media, print, tv, web banners. These are the places that are bringing the customer into the ad campaign and included them as an integral part of the storyline. These are the places that get customers to go from website to website to sign up, follow, tweet, play and watch a campaign develop. These are the places I want to work and be a part of.

I have realized that big shops won't look at me because I am not from a portfolio school or have the best book out there, but it has been a godsend because these shops, with a true love for creativity and a family atmosphere, are where I will be able to learn a crap load more and love every second.

So I'm writing this post because I have found out the hard way, that there are better jobs than being a junior at a global agency. Don't get me wrong that's still an amazing opportunity, but don't think it's the end all be all.

My goal, when I am looking for a job, is to work somewhere that cares as much about this industry as I do and loves every moment of it. I am finding it everywhere: big, small, interactive, traditional. So keep an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment