Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Mean Joe Greene

One of the most important things I learned in a lecture my junior year was to get a mentor. I took this to heart, heading into my internship as an Art Director at Doner Advertising. I had no idea how deep the jungle was or how to survive. Luckily there were two men at that agency that I luckily could follow in their tracks and learn as much as possible. These men may not have been Mean Joe Greene, but they defanitly gave me more than just some sweaty, old football jersey.

These two men were Kevin Delsanter and Chris Tschantz.
There were other AWESOME people at that agency but these two stick out because of how much advice I could possible consume still resonates with me.

I will start with Kevin.
He was my big brother. He taught me how to mess around without getting caught by mom and dad (the CD's and the agency heads). We went through battles together with Arby's and came out bleeding and came out captains of the ship. He taught me how to enjoy a 9 to 5/6/7/8, he taught me how to grease the wheels (i.e. do it again) and he taught me how to love advertising.

Chris was more of a Batman, if I were Robin.
He is my true mentor. He took me under his wing and showed me the ropes, pardon the clichés. But it is true. The best part about Chris is that he rarely ever taught me, he showed me. He showed me how to think, how to act and how to play the poker tables in Vegas. But what is best about Chris was not what he taught me but who he was. This man graduated in undergrad, graduated portfolio center and had a slew of opportunities to work at some of the best agencies, working on some of the best clients. But he traded it in, for his family.
That is a man, that I want to follow.

I apologize if this post is a little too much cheese, but it is the truth. These men have changed the way I look at working in any industry, with any people, in any city. And I thank them for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment