Monday, January 26, 2009

What is a Potty Mouth?

Where is the line in advertising?

It is like no other industry. Creatives wear t-shirts wrinkled and jeans with holes. Cubicles are filled with Nerf guns and creative briefs chaotically scattered across desks. I hear stories of swearing, drinking, and loligagging around the office till it's time to punch out.

I come from a father who has bored me with old school business ethics since I could pick up a fork. So hearing of a creative amusement park like the advertising industry has me excited like an old woman on The Price is Right. (It's not the same without Bob anymore)

But there has to be a line. You can't wander into work hungover and drunk swearing like a sailor shooting freethrows all day. No way.

This has recently interested me due to the many responses I received from my first post, where on multiple occasions I say the F-word and avoid saying words like hell and bull shit.

I feel as the author it was justifiable. I didn't just swear for swearing's sake. I swore to clarify how upset people are at this current juncture. I feel it adds attitude and truth to the topic that I was writing about. If I were to censor myself it would be boring and a pile of marshmallow fluff.

But I do follow my father's examples most of the time, when he says that there are somethings you don't pack into your briefcase, and swearing is one of them.

But as I enter and converse with people in the industry when is it okay?

I have heard CEO's come speak in front of a massive crowd and let loose some language that you only speak in the locker room. And I have also heard people that have probably bitten a few bars of soap in their childhood and would never swear in public.

Right now I have no answer. But In my opinion I like to test the waters first when choosing certain words to converse with.

1 comment:

  1. As the comment before, I like the blog idea! An awesome way to garner feedback, completely express, and keep everyone posted on the life of Colin Paul Murphy. I think both of your new ideas seem to be very creative. Both I am sure you will be able to sell to your strengths.

    Look forward to reading future posts!

    ReplyDelete