Tuesday, April 14, 2009

If There is a Hand, Grab It and Don't Let Go.

Recently I have been trying to get my name out there in ad world, which is a lot like swimming across the Atlantic on an empty stomach (that doesn't make too much sense, but I'm keeping it).

Well it's safe to say it's tough, brutally tough. But I have come across a lot of helping hands. Some from my university, some from my family and friends and some from god knows where. LinkedIn has been an incredible resource. People on LinkedIn who comment on forums and blogs care about helping out others. Twitter is another great place to saddle up and beg from some criticism. It may not get me a job, but it gets me valuable comments that will help better my book and get my name out there.

You can't expect to just announce your name the day after graduation and have people come begging to have you come work at their shops. No. You gotta put some leg work into it and build your stuff to be the best it can be, which means to not only hear the opinions your classmates and your professors, but everyone in the industry. Then you will see if it will float or sink like the titanic, without the Celion Dion song.

No comments:

Post a Comment