Friday, April 24, 2009

The Power of a Picture

So in my search through LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and everything else on the web, I have realized that having a profile picture and avatar goes a long way.

(This is from my own accounts of going through these sites. I'm sure there are books on Neuroscience and statistics about this, but I am not aware of any of them.)

I enjoy a picture because there is something nice about seeing the person you are connecting with. When there is no picture the trust level plummets because a gray silhouette could be anybody, sometimes my imagination goes wild.

Going through LinkedIn, I would say over 80% of the profiles I viewed in a search didn't have a picture and I never clicked on them. Facebook doesn't have this problem because a lot of people have 1,000 pictures of them. I won't lecture about keeping Facebook safe because that's all I hear nowadays.

So being a student in search for a job, get a picture up. Who knows maybe someone will take a gander and hire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment