Thursday, April 2, 2009

If you have any spare time.

List of the best Advertising books that I have read:

1. Where the Suckers Moon, by Randall Rothenberg
This book is probably the best book to read when entering the industry. It gives a full on look at how a campaign comes to be, from the new business pitches to finally seeing the spot on tv. It is very well rounded because it speaks from many different POV's, the account side, the creative side, the client side, the agency side. Truly, in my opinion, the best.

2. Hey Whipple Squeeze This, by Luke Sullivan
I have a soft spot for this book because it was one of the matches that lit the advertising fire for me. I feel it is the best book if you're just starting out. Learn how to think, how to write, how to design, how to get your name out there... I could go on.

3. The Advertising Concept Book, by Pete Barry
Pete Barry was one of my professors at Syracuse University, but from a non biased view this book is up there with Luke Sullivan's book. It is a great start-up guide to being a creative in the ad program or school. The best part about his book, is that he put in work, as examples, of what his students did. So as a beginner in the ad industry your not only looking at the best ads ever made, but your looking at great work that students made.

4. Lovemarks, by Kevin Roberts
Kevin is the CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi and has had every prestigious job you possibly can in the ad industry, including the client side, but in his dialogue he doesn't preach. This book is chalked up with great stories of how campaigns came to be and what it is like to be a part of one of the biggest ad agencies in the world. I'm currently halfway through it right now.

5. Advertising Now. by Taschen
These books are my MUST BUY books. I have the print version. They are a collection of some of the best of the best in advertising. There is always the One Show and CA and all of the other annuals, but this one is a well rounded compilation of ads.

I do have biases when it comes to reading because I was never a heavy book worm as a kid. I actually hated reading. So take it from me, that every single one of these books is an easy and entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment